California Pizza Kitchen is a casual dining restaurant chain specializing in Californian pizzas, headquartered in Los Angeles, California. We’ll look at the job opportunities offered by California Pizza Kitchen in this employment application guide.
Company History –
California Pizza Kitchen was founded by Rick Rosenfield and Larry Flax in the year 1985 in Beverly Hills, California. They started the restaurant by pooling around $200,000 in bank loans and used the $350,000 invested from friends to lease the space required for the restaurant. During the late 80s, the company expanded throughout Southern California and by 1992, there were 26 CPKs. The same year, Pepsico paid $100 million and bought 67 percent of the chain. With Pepsico owning majority of the chain, it grew faster throughout the 90s. Today, California Pizza Kitchen has more than 200 locations in 32 states in the country and employs more than 14,000 people.
What kinds of jobs are available at California Pizza Kitchen?
Following are some of the entry-level jobs available at California Pizza Kitchen:
Cooks: As a cook, you will be preparing the dishes requested by the customers. You will be provided the necessary training to prepare California Pizza Kitchen’s dishes.
Server: As a server, your responsibility is to serve the dishes requested by the customer to their tables. You will need to know the menu thoroughly as you will also be answering queries by customers. Strong customer service skills are required for this position.
Busser: As a busser, you will be responsible for the cleanliness of the restaurant, cleaning tables as guests leave, getting the table ready for other guests.
Host/Hostess: As a Host/Hostess, you will be the person responsible for giving the first impression of the restaurant, greeting guests as they come in. Good interpersonal skills are required for this job.
How to apply for a job at California Pizza Kitchen?
Let’s head over to the official website of California Pizza Kitchen, which is www.cpk.com. Once there, click on the ‘Careers’ link just below the ‘Menu’ button on the top of the page. This will open up the Careers page of the website. Once in the Careers page, on the left side of the page, you will see a box listing different job areas such as ‘Hourly’ and ‘Management.’ Let’s say you wish to apply for Hourly jobs. Click on ‘Hourly Opportunities’. Now, at the center of the page, you should see a box listing various hourly jobs. On the top right corner of the box, just above the hourly job titles is the ‘Apply Now’. Click on it. Then click on ‘Hourly Opportunities’. This will open the Application form page wherein you’ll be required to fill the information requested on the page. Once all the information has been filled in, click on the ‘Submit Inquiry’ button at the bottom of the page.
Below are some additional details that might be useful to get a job at California Pizza Kitchen:
- The average salary for a server is $8.03/hr with the highest reported salary being $30/hr and the lowest being just $2/hr.
- The average salary for a Host/Hostess is $7.92/hr with the highest salary being reportedly $8/hr and the lowest being $7/hr.
- The average salary for a Cook is $11.57/hr with the highest salary being reportedly $13/hr and the lowest being $10/hr.
- The annual salary for a Busser is in the range of $23000 to $25000.
- Sample interview question – “Tell me about your strengths and weaknesses.”
- Sample interview question – “Describe one time at a previous job where the customers thought that you had bad customer service.”
- Sample interview question – “How do you perform under pressure?”
- Sample interview question – “Describe a time when you had problem with a guest and how did you handle it?”
- Sample interview question – “Describe a time when you went out of your way to make an upset customer happy.”
So that’s all the information you need to get a job at California Pizza Kitchen. The overall satisfaction of the employees is very high and there are a lot of job opportunities, many of which are in the management and corporate positions. The pay is competitive as well. As far as benefits are concerned, the company offers benefits such as paid vacations, a 401(k) plan as well as discounts at California Pizza Kitchen restaurants.